It’s 2018, and recycling is now, for most of us, an essential part of everyday life. Unfortunately, though, curbside recycling can be quite limited in Canada, and city programs may not accept all recyclable items. This is where London Drugs comes in! The list below includes just seven of the surprising things we recycle at London Drugs. We challenge you: sort through your drawers and cupboards and see how many of these seven unique items you can collect and bring in to us—to keep them from the landfill.
- Styrofoam – London Drugs is Canada’s only major retailer to offer packaging return and recycling on anything they sell. Seriously. Anything! The Bring Back the Pack program includes Styrofoam (from items bought at London Drugs), which is not accepted as part of most municipal recycling programs.
- Smoke Alarms – Smashed your alarm one too many times while burning the bacon? Bring it in and we’ll recycle it.
- Non-Rechargeable (and Rechargeable) Batteries – Alkaline batteries are recyclable too. We have them sent to Inmetco in Pennsylvania, USA, where they use a High Temperature Metals Recovery Process (HTMR) to obtain an overall material recovery rate of 83%. Metals recovered include Iron, Nickel, Manganese, Copper, and Zinc. Ni-CAD, Ni-MH and Ni-Zn. Rechargeable batteries are also processed at Inmetco.
- Plastic Insurance Folders – Don’t leave expired documents in your car! Shred your old insurance papers and bring the plastic to us. London Drugs also accepts all soft plastic bags (except biodegradable bags).
- Fluorescent Light Bulbs – Bring in your Compact Fluorescent Light (CFL) Bulbs and Fluorescent Light (FL) Tubes up to 4-foot lengths to London Drugs for safe, responsible recycling. Simply wrap old bulbs carefully in a plastic bag or a box and drop them off at our Customer Service Counter.
- Waffle Makers (And Other Small Appliances) – Need a new small appliance? Bring in your old one at the same time. Any dead small appliance with a plug can be recycled at London Drugs through the Small Appliance recycling program. All electronic products are responsibly disassembled to basic materials right here in Canada. London Drugs works diligently to ensure that recyclables are shipped to responsible recycling facilities.
- VHS Tapes – London Drugs offers customers drop-off recycling for virtually all recordable media or media storage devices when customers are making similar purchases in our stores. (Maximum 16 items at a time, please)
You can help make a big difference. For more information on London Drugs’ green initiatives, visit greendeal.ca where—along with more info about our recycling program—you can learn about the green products we sell, saving energy in your home, sustainability education events, and more!