London Drugs is excited to be partnering with L’Oréal Canada to launch a cosmetics take back program with recycling leader TerraCycle! Customers can now recycle cosmetics from any brand in the box. The bin of cosmetics will be sent to TerraCycle, who will carefully sort the products to be responsibility recycled. This will help us to achieve our waste reduction goals and commitment to sending zero waste to landfills, as well as educating and helping our customers to recycle!
Q: What is accepted for recycling?
A: Plastic and metal makeup packaging from any brand, as well as glass foundation bottles are accepted. The program does not include skin care packaging at this time, only makeup packaging. Examples of accepted makeup packaging include:
- Mascara tubes
- Glass foundation bottles
- Eyeliner pencils and cases
- Eye shadow tubes
- Concealer tubes
- Lipstick tubes
- Lip gloss tubes
- Lip liner
- Powder cases
Please note that the packaging needs to be empty, as this is a recycling program for makeup packaging only, not the product itself. The packaging should also be washed or rinsed, if possible.
Q: What is not accepted?
A: At this time, we do not accept:
- Glass makeup packaging except foundation bottles
- Perfume bottles
- Nail polish bottles
- Nail polish remover bottles
- Aerosol cans
- Skin care packaging
Q: Are there any sizing restrictions on what can be recycled?
A: No! There are no specific size restriction as long as the products sent back are cosmetics products.
Q: What happens to the packaging after I drop it off in the bin?
A: Once the bins are full, they are sent to a sortation facility in Canada. At the sortation facility, the bins are opened and the packaging is sorted into various material types: plastics, metals, and glass. The different materials are then sent to processing facilities in Canada, where the materials are recycled by being broken down and turned into pellets, or something similar. The broken-down materials are then sold to manufacturers to be used in the production of new products, replacing the use of virgin materials!
Q: Is the packaging actually recycled?
A: Yes. Around 97% of the packaging received will end up being physically recycled. The remaining 3% that cannot be recycled due to contamination or other concerns is responsibly disposed of.